Tuesday 8 September 2015

Natalie's Story

At age 16 I collapsed at home due to what I named The Pain.  My sister who was aged 11 had to help me to bed where I stayed for the remainder of the day.  I wasn't sure what this internal dragging sensation that made me feel feverish, nauseous and dizzy was.  There was nothing that made The Pain any better and I managed by curling up into the foetal position and waiting for sleep to take me away from it all.
The Pain was not linked to my monthly cycle and would strike at any time.  I went to my doctor and explained that I had these episodes and had no idea what was causing them.  I was told that I had constipation as I only had a bowel movement once a week.  When I explained that whilst this was a problem for me it was not the source of The Pain my GP seemed uninterested and unwilling to spend any further time to look into it.
Fast forward a few years when I returned to the doctor when my periods became a month long with very few days break.  Despite being on the Pill and being able to "manage" my cycle better it was not the case.  I was advised to try the contraceptive injection which made my periods lighter but I spent the whole month spotting, which is less draining than a month long period but, still not the ideal.  I returned to the Pill after two years on the injection.
My 24th year was my most Endo disruptive.  The Pain was still able to bring me to my knees but was not as intense as when I first experienced it.  The only problem was that The Pain was now more frequent.  I spent more time than I care to recall trembling on the toilet waiting for the symptoms to subside.  It was only when my then Boss told me that his wife had endometriosis and told me to insist on an ultrasound that I had a name for The Pain.  I immediately googled endometriosis and found that I ticked all the boxes so booked an appointment to see my GP.
I was reluctantly referred for an ultrasound and a few days later was called at work by my doctor to be told that some cysts had been found but also a heartbeat!  I was told that the cysts were the cause of my discomfort and that they were likely to burst during the pregnancy.
Eighteen months after my son was born I was sitting in a bar with my partner when I had the worst dragging sensation I had experienced in a while and when I got up to go to the toilet I found that I had really heavy bleeding despite not being due on my period.  I sat and cried in the toilets as I realised that The Pain had returned and so the diagnosis of cysts was unlikely to be correct.
I had various appointments, consultations, ultrasound scans, prodding and pokings to find out what the cause was.  I was told that my left fallopian tube had a tear in it and was slightly detached and that this had been caused by an STD.  I have never had an STD in my life and was insulted to have been told that this was the cause of my problems.
As a result of the ultrasound I was later referred to a consultant at Whipps Cross hospital as the symptoms were back to the way there were before I had my son.  I was told that a laparoscopy was the only way to be able to tell what was really going on with me.  I was petrified of going in for surgery but I also wanted help to enable me to be a happy, healthy, active Mummy and girlfriend.
A month before my 30th I went into hospital and had my laparoscopy.  When I came round I was shown pictures of the severity of my recto-vaginal endometriosis and what had been removed during the surgery.  Once the discomfort of the surgery abated I felt a lot better and managed to enjoy almost two years without any pain at all. 
With the pain came the most horrendously heavy monthly cycles I have ever had.  I was reduced to sitting on bathroom towels in the car and had a number of very embarrassing walks from the office to the car with stained clothes.  We had relocated to Manchester so I visited my new GP who due to my history immediately referred me to a consultant who then suggested Prostap. 
The consultant explained that I could possibly be pain-free for between 2-4 years once through the temporary menopause that Prostap induces but I would need to think about having another baby and then I would require a full hysterectomy. 
Within a day of my first Prostap injection I was suffering with the night sweats, hot flushes, insomnia, emotional outbursts and everything else that comes with menopause.  For my son and partner it was not an ideal 6 month period but I had no pain whilst on Prostap which meant although I would burst into tears when discussing where to buy an ice cream I was able to be out with them without being uncomfortable. 
I had my last injection in November and my periods returned in February.  I have started getting the niggling stabbing pain that stops me in my tracks and have been reluctant to return to the GP as I don't want to have another laparoscopy.  Following my second laparoscopy in August last year I had trouble breathing which resulted in hospitalisation, a clot on my lung and a month off work. 
I was really pleased when I saw an email from the Manchester Endometriosis Group asking for volunteers and emailed straight back as I fit all the criteria.  Phil called me shortly afterwards and explained what he was trying to do by running the clinical trial.  He gave me time to think about whether or not I wanted to go ahead.
Yesterday I had my first session with Phil.  He was very friendly, open and understanding.  He managed to hold the session with my very inquisitive six year old chatting away.
My muscles feel a lot tighter today and the urgent signals seem to have calmed in my bladder.  I have had a couple of stabbing Endo pains today but it's early days and I am excited to post on the blog about the experience.  Good and bad.

6 comments:

  1. Following my first treatment I found that the next day I had less sharp, stop-me-in-my-tracks Endo pain. On a normal day I would experience between 5-10 pains. I had 2. I also slept a lot better as I didn't need to get up in the night to go to the toilet. Overall, feeling better as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my second treatment Phil wanted to push me a little bit further and concentrate more on my stomach muscles/pelvic area. I think I was giggling too much at our conversation to take it up by more than a 6 1/2 but I felt much lighter as a result of having a laugh. Following my second session I spent the weekend at Goodwood Revival. The last time I was there a few years ago I had to spend a considerable amount of time sitting down as I couldn't walk with the dragging sensation as it was uncomfortable and exhausting. I hadn't really appreciated that I managed to spend the day walking around, in heels, carrying my son when he got too tired and not feeling completely wrung out and drained. I did find that the more fizz I consumed the more the bloating returned. I am not finding the bloating has changed much but hopefully I will see results the next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my third session Phil took me up to a seven and explained that now the water had drained away it would be a different experience. Which it was. I could feel the pulses down my left leg which I hadn't felt before.
    Again, my night time toilet interruptions have been fewer. I am only waking once in the night, which is a definite improvement.
    I have often found intimacy rather uncomfortable bordering on painful/wince-inducing but have found that even this aspect has improved. Plus, the following day would always result in lots of pain throughout the day but I have been fine, which is amazing. It does make me wonder what on earth this machine is doing to me, how long its effects will last and what I'll do without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an aside, my son's child minder asked whether or not I have lost weight to which Caleb instantly replied "She is seeing a man that plugs her to a machine and fills her with electricity"...out of the mouth of babes! I had to explain what he was talking about so that she wasn't left wondering which man I was seeing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my fourth session on Thursday. I didn't manage to get higher than my last session (I must be a wimp) but I think I will be able to manage more next week as it became more comfortable towards the end. On Friday, I had one stop me in my tracks pain but other than that I've been feeling great.

    This weekend I am in London to get some much needed TLC from my Mum. I was fine during the drive, which has previously proven a problem - with multiple stops. We had a very active afternoon but I was absolutely fine. I did have some spin later on in the evening but I suspect my monthly cycle is on its way...I am still not regular after the Prostap so it's a guessing game. If it turns out that I am due on then I will be very pleased because the ache is nowhere near as bad, in fact I'd say it was mild, if it is that time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Later on today I will be having my sixth session. Due to work and other commitments I missed my two sessions last week. The week that I didn’t have my two sessions I did have some pain, but it hasn’t been as deeply painful as it has been previously, the pains were definitely milder.
    I had felt that my period was due to arrive for about a week and a half before it came and what a difference the Arasys has made to the dreaded monthly nightmare!
    For the first time in years I was able to get up from my seat without the “Period Fear” of leaking on my seat. I was able to walk without feeling like my insides were all falling out. I didn’t have to sit on a towel in my car. My period was relatively pain-free and nowhere near as heavy as it has been in recent months and years.
    When I first started the sessions I told Phil that I would be most interested in seeing how my period was affected and I must say I am so impressed and happy with how I felt this month.
    I have asked my partner, James, to write about his experience of our endo journey because as much as I am the one that has the physical symptoms he is the person supporting me throughout all the ups and downs. He has been by my side for two operations, the inexplicable tears, for 9 months of Prostap hell and all that entails, the pressure of having a baby in a certain timeframe before a full hysterectomy as suggested by my consultant. So, hopefully his perception of this disease will be added to my feed soon.
    I haven’t had a chance to read the full blogs of everyone else yet and I really do need to make some time to catch up with it all and read about all of your experiences but I am heartened by the fact that endo made front page news this week.
    I had no idea that there were so many of us going through the same trauma. The stories all sound so familiar and sad but Phil and all of us are doing our bit to make sure that more is done to help ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete